Thursday, October 30, 2008

i hate coleslaw.



Coleslaw is nasty. At least, that's what I thought until this little number came along. Raised on mayonnaise-based horrors, always ice-cold and served on styrofoam, it's not exactly surprising that I thought ill of slaw.
What no one told me was that technically, coleslaw is just shredded cabbage, tossed in a dressing. So, if you use a nice, mild cabbage and toss it in something that tastes delicious, the result is a delightful side dish. Called coleslaw.
So, now I am a slaw lover. I don't just throw that terminology around, though...I suppose I prefer to think of it as a salad. Feta cheese only helps. Use more or less, depending on your tastes. And join the dark side.

Greek Coleslaw

1 head of Napa or Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
1 lb feta, crumbled
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
salt
pepper

Whisk together canola oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper (to taste). You may desire more or less lemon juice (or more of anything...go ahead!)
Stir in green onions. Then stir in coleslaw, coating well.
Sprinkle feta over and mix thoroughly.

No comments: